Tuesday, October 19, 2010

World building must be like quilting.

So I have been examining the way in which the map s generated. For now I have been making it compile a matrix of data, for instance

1 1 1 1 1 1
1 2 2 2 2 2
1 1 2 2 3 3
1 1 1 2 3 3
1 1 2 2 3 3


1 could be water, 2 coastal, and 3 plains

there are some rules in this array, for instance notice how all of the 3's are not within touching distance of a 1.


I have been examining how I can use this data to break out of the grid. My reasoning for this is that the square array that I have is rough around the edges (HAH), and squares themselves lend an inorganic way of representing curves which take place.

However, I will argue for the use of squares because of its relation to the cardinal directions. This is something I will go over in my next presentation.


Pic 1 - What Happenes if we take square array data, and convert it into hexagons.





Pic 2 - Possible ways of expanding the square method, this way the cardinal directions are maintained, and the different shades could ease a player into a landtype.





No comments:

Post a Comment